Getting Data In

How can I do this using Field Extraction in Splunk Cloud so that it automatically extracts this field at search time?

shubhamsipah
Loves-to-Learn

Hi,

I'm collecting logs from a s3 path using "Splunk Add-on for Amazon Web Services". I want to extract a field from the s3 path string. I was able to do it using this expression `rex field=source "[.]*\/batch_id=(?<batch_id>[0-9]*)\/[.]*"`.
How can I do this using Field Extraction in Splunk Cloud so that it automatically extracts this field at search time?

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Karma

tshah-splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @shubhamsipah,

For the SplunkCloud environment, if you want to make any changes to the conf files, the best way would be to reach out to Splunk Support and they'll be able to make changes in your environment.

---
If you find the answer helpful, an upvote/karma is appreciated
0 Karma

shubhamsipah
Loves-to-Learn

I was able to do this using Field extraction and transformation in Splunk web (Settings -> Field).
But as per my understanding, this field extraction will be done at search time, not index time.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes if you are adding those by GUI on SC then those are done on search time.

But you can do those own apps to do that same thing on search time. With apps you can mange those KO with Git and can keep better version control etc.

r. Ismo 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Another way is to create own app which you can vetted and then install as a self-service to Splunk Cloud.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...