Getting Data In

How can I change the user as which the Windows universal forwarder runs?

afternoon
Engager

I have installed the Windows universal forwarder to send local data only. Now I want to configure it to run as a different user so that I can use Windows Auth to query a database. Which configuration file should I modify to change the user and is there an example config stanza I could copy?

1 Solution

MarioM
Motivator

actually on Windows UF you should only need to changes the splunkd service account in windows services.msc and the account should have those user rights assignments :

Full control over Splunk's installation directory

Read access to any flat files you want to index

Permission to log on as a service

Permission to log on as a batch job

Permission to replace a process-level token

Permission to act as part of the operating system

Permission to bypass traverse checking

View solution in original post

neklov
0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator

actually on Windows UF you should only need to changes the splunkd service account in windows services.msc and the account should have those user rights assignments :

Full control over Splunk's installation directory

Read access to any flat files you want to index

Permission to log on as a service

Permission to log on as a batch job

Permission to replace a process-level token

Permission to act as part of the operating system

Permission to bypass traverse checking

afternoon
Engager

Thanks! I didn't even think to just look in Services in Server Manager.

This isn't documented anywhere as far as I could find. Splunk Team: Would be a good thing to add! 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...