Getting Data In

Heavy forwarder

hethu
Path Finder

Hi, 

I am trying to figure out if i need a heavy forwarder or not; from what I have read in the documentation, a heavy forwarder is needed to be able to use addons slik splunk DB Connect, is that correct?

If so; can the heavy forwarder forward to a universal forwarder,  that forwards to Splunk Cloud?

Heavy Forwarder --> Universal Forwarder (DMZ) --> Splunk Cloud

I presume it is possible, but I just wanted to be 100% sure.  

Labels (2)
0 Karma

alonsocaio
Contributor

Hi @hethu,

Actually you can forward your logs from Heavy Forwarder directly to Splunk Cloud. I guess this would be the recommended architecture for this case.

Do you have any network restrictions for communication between your server and Splunk Cloud? If this is the case, maybe you should deploy a Heavy Forwarder instead an Universal Forwarder on DMZ. I have not tested sending logs between two forwarders, but I guess this is possible. 

hethu
Path Finder

Thanks for replying.

You are correct, i need two forwarders because of network restrictions. So i am trying to figure out if i need two heavy forwarders, or just 1 heavy + 1 universal

0 Karma

alonsocaio
Contributor

Understood. My suggestion would be to deploy a Heavy Forwarder on DMZ. I guess It would give you more control on inputs, routing and parsing than the Universal Forwarder. But looking at the docs, It seems to be possible to use the Universal Forwarder as intermediate. Here you have a more detailed comparison about the different types of Splunk forwarders (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.0/Forwarding/Typesofforwarders#Forwarder_comparison)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...