Getting Data In

DB Connect Addon Integration Issue - Microsoft SQL Server 2012

kiranpanchavat1
Path Finder

Hello Team,

We are trying to integrate one of the SQL data base using the splunk db connect add-on and we are getting the below error.  Id MS SQL 2012 is compatible with the below db connect and splunkversions ?

Splunk DB Connect

Version: 3.5.1 Build: 4 Splunk Enterprise : 8.1.7.2

DB version is Microsoft SQL Server 2012

ERROR :

The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "Certificates do not conform to algorithm constraints". ClientConnectionId:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Labels (1)
Tags (1)

andrew207
Path Finder

I have hit this problem too, and it's a bit awkward. Here's what I have learned:

- Even with encrypt=false in your JDBC URL, authentication still occurs over TLS.

- MSSQL 2014 uses 1024-bit keys by default

- Newer versions of JRE/JDK (not sure when it changed) specify minimum key lengths of 2048 for RSA

I am working to solve this by having the MSSQL team configure suitable certs signed by our PKI. As a temporary workaround you may be able to set this:

#$JAVA_HOME/lib/security/java.security
jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, RC4, DES, MD5withRSA, DH keySize < 1024, EC keySize < 224, 3DES_EDE_CBC, RSA keySize < 1024

Notably, we are changing the disabled RSA keySize to <1024, which would allow the 1024-bit keys used by default in MSSQL14 -- even when SSL is explicitely disabled in the JDBC URL.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

andrew207
Path Finder
jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=SSLv3, RC4, DES, MD5withRSA, DH keySize < 1024, EC keySize < 224, 3DES_EDE_CBC, RSA keySize < 1024

Just as a followup, performing this change to allow RSA keysizes of 1024 bits worked fine and when combined with explicitly specifying encrypt=false in the JDBC URL we now have working connectivity. 

0 Karma

kiranpanchavat1
Path Finder

can anyone please provide an update on this ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...