Getting Data In

Create custom fields at indextime on Heavy Forwarders

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi at all,

I have to create a custom field at index time, I did it following the documentation but there's something wrong.

The field to read is a parte of the source field 8as you can read in the REGEX.

I deployed using a Deployment Server on my Heavy Forwarders an app contaning the following files:

• fields.conf
  • props.conf
  • transforms.conf

in fields.conf I inserted

[fieldname]
INDEXED = True

in props.conf I inserted:

[default]
TRANSFORMS-abc = fieldname

in transforms.conf I inserted:

[fieldname]
REGEX = /var/log/remote/([^/]+)/.*
FORMAT = fieldname::$1
WRITE_META = true
DEST_KEY = fieldname
SOURCE_KEY = source
REPEAT_MATCH = false
LOOKAHEAD = 100

where's the error? what I missed?

Thank you for your help.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Transformsconf#KEYS:

SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Source

BTW, you don't need fields.conf on the HF. You need it on SH.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @PickleRick  and @isoutamo ,

Thank you for your yints,

this is the new transforms.conf

[relay_hostname]
REGEX = (/var/log/remote/)([^/]+)(/.*)
FORMAT = relay_hostname::$2
WRITE_META = true
#DEST_KEY = relay_hostname
REPEAT_MATCH = false

I tried with your hints but they don't run, what could I try again?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I didn't notice that it was in the [default] stanza. I'm not sure but I seem to recall that there was something about it and applying a "default transform".

Stupid question but just to be on the safe side - you don't have any HF before this one? (so you're doing all this on the parsing component, not just getting parsed data from earlier, right?). Oh, and remember that if you're using indexed extractions, they are parsed at UF so your transforms won't work on them later.

Anyway, assuming that it's done in the proper spot in the path, I'd try something like that to verify that the transform is being run at all.

[relay_hostname]
REGEX = .
FORMAT = relay_hostname::constantvalue
WRITE_META = true
REPEAT_MATCH = false

Anyway, with

(/var/log/remote/)([^/]+)(/.*)

you don't have to capture neither first nor last group. You just need to capture the middle part so your regex can as well just be

/var/log/remote/([^/]+)/.*

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @PickleRick ,

I also tried to associate the transformation to a sourcetype and it doesn't work:

In props.conf:

[cisco:ios]
TRANSFORMS-relay_hostname = relay_hostname
[cisco:ise:syslog]
[f5:bigip:ltm:tcl:error]
[f5:bigip:syslog]
[fortigate_event]
[fortigate_traffic]
[infoblox:audit]
[infoblox:dhcp]
[infoblox:dns]
[infoblox:file]
[juniper:junos:firewall]
[juniper:junos:switch]
[pan:system]
[pan:traffic]
[pan:userid]
[pps_log]

in transforms.conf:

[relay_hostname]
REGEX = /var/log/remote/([^/]+)/.*
FORMAT = relay_hostname::$1
WRITE_META = true
REPEAT_MATCH = false

and also tried:

[relay_hostname]
INGEST_EVAL = relay_hostname = replace(source, "(/var/log/remote/)([^/]+)(/.*)","\2")

but both thies failed!

Thank you for your support, have you any other idea, wher to search the issue?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. Something is definitely weird with your setup then,

I did a quick test on my home lab.

# cat props.conf 
[routeros]
TRANSFORMS-add_source_based_field = add_source_based_field

# cat transforms.conf
[add_source_based_field]
REGEX = udp:(.*)
FORMAT = source_source_port::$1
WRITE_META = true
REPEAT_MATCH = false

As you can see, for events coming from my mikrotik router it calls a transform which adds a field called source_source_port containing the port number extracted from the source field.

And it works.

PickleRick_0-1709303809049.png

So the mechanism is sound and the configuration is pretty OK. Now the question is why it doesn't work for you.

One thing which can _sometimes_ be tricky here (but it's highly unlikely that you have that problem with all your sourcetypes) is that it might be not that obvious which config is effective when your sourcetype is recast on ingestion because props and transforms are applied only for the original sourcetype even if it's changed during the processing in the pipeline (I think we already talked about it :-)) .

But as far as I recognize some of your sourcetypes at least some of them are not recast (pps_log for sure, for example)

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
You said that you have CLONE_SOURCETYPE in use. Are you applied these transforms to original or cloned ST?

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @isoutamo ,

both of them!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Have you validate those already in single server instead of in distributed environment?
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Can you test in your dedicate single server test environment with sample data? That way you could be sure that those confs are correct. After that just install those into correct place on your real deployment.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @PickleRick and @isoutamo ,

I also tried to solve the issue at search time, but there are many sourcetypes to associate this field, so I tried to create a field extraction to associate to source=/var/log/remote/*, but it still doesn't run, probably because I cannot use the jolly char in a source for field extractions.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @isoutamo ,

thank you for your hint, but using INGEST-EVAL, I can use an eval function, instead I need to use a regex to extract a field from another field.

The correct way is the first I used but there's something wrong and I don't understand what.

Maybe the source field isn't still extracted when I try to extract with a regex a part of the path.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
As I have used replace on those examples, you can use it same way.
On those cases I have take some part of source (e.g. yyyymmmdd from file path) and use it as a field value.

Basically replace is a one way to use regex on splunk.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @isoutamo ,

I tried your solution:

[relay_hostname]
INGEST_EVAL = relay_hostname = replace(source, "(/var/log/remote/)([^/]+)(/.*)","\2")

with no luck.

As I said, I have the doubt that I would extract the new field from the source field that maybe isn't still extracted!

I also tried a transformation at search time:

gcusello_0-1709287522407.png

with the same result.

thank you and ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Based on your example data etc. this works.

| makeresults
| eval source="/var/log/remote/abc/def.xyx"
| eval relay_hostname = replace(source, "/var/log/remote/([^/]+)/.*","\1")

So it should work also on props.conf!

Are you absolutely sure that those sourcetype names are correct on your props.conf and that there are not any CLONE_SOURCETYPE etc. which can lead to wrong path? You should also check that there is no host or source definitions which overrides that sourcetype  definition.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @isoutamo ,

yes I have some CLONE_SOURCETYPE, but I applied the transformation in props.conf in the default stanza:

[default]

and this should be applied to all the sourcetypes.

Maybe I could try to apply to source:

[source::/var/log/remote/*]

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

At least earlier I have had some issue to use [default]. The end result was that I must move those to actual sourcetype definition or otherwise those didn't affect as I was hopping.

Also CLONE_SOURCETYPE has some caveat when you want to manipulate it. I think that @PickleRick  has some case on last autumn about this, where we try to solve same kind of situation?

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @isoutamo ,

the use of [default] stanza is a must because I have many sourcetypes and I would avoid to write a stanza for each of them.

For this reason I also tried to use [source::/var/log/*] but it didn't run!.

Anyway, there isn't any othe HF before of these because this is an rsyslog server that receives syslogs.

Thank you, have you any other check that I could try?

Now I'm trying using a fixed string to understand if the issue is in the regx or in the [default] stanza.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
I have had several hundreds sourcetypes in m case 😕 Fortunately we have automation for generating those props.conf.

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
If I recall right you shouldn’t use DEST_KEY= fieldname, just remove that line. Usually splunk write that into _meta field and then it create indexed fields based on that information in indexers.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...