Getting Data In

BeyondTrust PRA Appliance Syslog Over TLS via Input Config

fillory4ever
Observer

So we are trying to send Syslog from our BeyondTrust PRA Appliance to Splunk. We have validated via the SSL/TLS test that the connection is good. I have the cert at both sides so this appears to be okay. We do not see the evens in the index though.

Configured inputs.conf in the /local folder as follows:

[tcp-ssl://6514]
disabled = false

[SSL]
requireClientCert = false
serverCert = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/custom/combined.cer
sslVersions = tls1.2
cipherSuite = AES256-SHA

We have the input setup in the web interface and have the correct index and source defined. No events coming in though. I've seen several articles from multiple years back on configuring this. The TLS handshake works, what are we missing? Thanks in advance!

FYI: Tried this over UDP using a non TLS input and the data comes in fine, but when we try with SSL it never shows up in the index.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

fillory4ever
Observer

Also, I did look at the metrics.log and it shows the connections from the server sending the logs, but nothing still in the index. Below is an example of the connection (I have x'd out the IP)

10-25-2023 16:22:34.165 +0000 INFO Metrics - group=tcpin_connections, x.x.x.x:31311:6514, connectionType=rawSSL, sourcePort=31311, sourceHost=x.x.x.x, sourceIp=x.x.x.x, destPort=6514, kb=0.000, _tcp_Bps=0.000, _tcp_KBps=0.000, _tcp_avg_thruput=0.000, _tcp_Kprocessed=0.000, _tcp_eps=0.000, _process_time_ms=0, evt_misc_kBps=0.000, evt_raw_kBps=0.000, evt_fields_kBps=0.000, evt_fn_kBps=0.000, evt_fv_kBps=0.000, evt_fn_str_kBps=0.000, evt_fn_meta_dyn_kBps=0.000, evt_fn_meta_predef_kBps=0.000, evt_fn_meta_str_kBps=0.000, evt_fv_num_kBps=0.000, evt_fv_str_kBps=0.000, evt_fv_predef_kBps=0.000, evt_fv_offlen_kBps=0.000, evt_fv_fp_kBps=0.000

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Dashboard Challenge and Watch the .conf24 Global Broadcast!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is still happening, and it's not too late to enter for the week of ...