Deployment Architecture

Why won’t my addition to the navigation menu show up?

Gregski11
Contributor

so I am trying to do something super simple having watched a basic YouTube video on how to do it, I just want to add a new menu item to the top navigation bar, something like "Test"

In the Web UI I go to Settings \ User interface \ Navigation menus and then click on the default Nav name in the list of my custom app for example

<nav search_view="search">
<view name="ess_home" default="true" />
<view name="ess_security_posture" />
<view name="incident_review" />
<view name="ess_investigation_list" />
<view name="my_new_test_item" />
</nav>

I save it and get the Successfully updated "default" in SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite. confirmation but nothing happens, I never see my new item up top 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sometimes, there's an ES way to do a thing and a non-ES way to do it.  Always use the ES way when changing something in ES.  In this case, go to Settings->General->Navigation.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Gregski11
Contributor

thanks Rich that sort of worked, it gave me that graphical layout type of screen, and I could add something from their canned pull down list and that item shows up, but my test one although I can see it on that layout page does not show up in the menu nav

I guess I should not have used ES as an example cause I am actually trying to move a custom item from the ES nav that the previous Splunk Admin added there incorrectly and add it to our home grown custom app nav instead, so why isn't my basic custom app not showing my new item?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Gregski11,

I suppose that the "my_new_test_item" dashboard exists and it has exactly this name.

So probably the problem is the location of this dashboard in the apps that are in the ES,

try to put the absolute path in the menu line

/app/<your_app>/<your_dashboard>

if it doesn't run use this:

<a href="/app/<your_app>/<your_dashboard>">your_app</a>

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Gregski11
Contributor

ah thanks Giuseppe so I guess you can't just create a phantom menu item with nothing behind it like I attempted, it has to be a legit dashboard

question for you how can I reveal the source code behind the ES navigation page in the Web UI, all it offers me is the graphical slide this box here slide this box there screen 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...