Deployment Architecture

How to thaw multiple DB within the Frozen bucket?

dperry
Communicator

I have seen a question regarding this, but doesn't seem to explain much.....I'm looking to move multiple db_* to the thaweddb..I move the data like so:

cp -r db_140* $SPLUNK_DB/web_logging/thaweddb/

My question...what command can I do so that I can rebuild all the content in this folder, thaweddb? The time it takes to rebuild one db_* at a time is forever.....My Indexer is running on Linux.

index=web_logging
$SPLUNK_DB/web_logging/thaweddb
$SPLUNK_DB/web_logging/frozendb

0 Karma

jjozwik702
Explorer

Does restoring count against your daily index limit?

0 Karma

fernanlee
Path Finder

No, because that data was indexed before and you paid for that "index process". Don't worry about that.

0 Karma

sherm77
Path Finder

Verify this with your Splunk account manager, but in my experience & training, previously indexed data does not have a license cost to it no matter how you move it around or rebuild from frozen to thawed. Now, if you manipulate the data and reindex it, then you'll have a cost since you are materially changing the indexed data.

0 Karma

dperry
Communicator

So I ran the above command to rebuild the multiple db's within the Thawed bucket, took about 9 hours to complete. I suppose this is the only solution if you need to restore allot of data.

rajanala
Path Finder

If possible, please provide an estimated GB of the 400 buckets.
9 hours = 400 buckets = ? GB

Thank you.

qtopia7100
Explorer

I'd like to know time and size as well

dperry
Communicator

Is there a faster way of rebuilding the buckets? I can run the following command:

cd /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/web_logging/thaweddb ; ls | xargs -i /opt/splunk/bin/splunk rebuild {}

But I have over 400 buckets I need to rebuild??!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...