Dashboards & Visualizations

Static Options not equal to 0

HugheJass
Loves-to-Learn

I believe I have what is a very simple question, but with all my searching I have been unable to find an answer.

I've made a simple dashboard to show successful and failed logins to our application.  I have created a dropdown/radio button panel with some static options shown below.  I can show all results with an asterisk and only successful logins with 0, but using "!=0" to get everything that doesn't equal 0 doesn't produce any results.

I have tried some basic combinations of !=0, !="0", !=="0" here in the Static Options window.

What am I missing?  The tutorials I've found don't specifically cover this type of syntax.  Thank you in advance!

2024-05-07 08_39_06-Edit_ MS Authenticator - Classic _ Splunk 9.0.4.1.png

2024-05-07 08_41_30-Edit Source_ MS Authenticator - Classic _ Splunk 9.0.4.1.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @HugheJass ,

try adding the field to use in the condition, e.g.

All              my_field=*
Successful       my_field=0
Failed           my_field!=0

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

HugheJass
Loves-to-Learn

Thank you for the tip to add the field into my condition, but this produces no results.  Leaving in * and 0 show those results, but even putting "my_field=0" shows none.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @HugheJass ,

what's the field you are using for the conditions *, 0 !=0? in the shared code there isn't any field.

my_field is a common name that means the field that you're using.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

HugheJass
Loves-to-Learn

I do understand that "my_field" was just a placeholder since you did not know the name of my tokens.  My actual field is status.errorCode and creating a token "errorCode" from that does pull my results into the dashboard.  The problem comes when I tried to filter my token "errorCode" to show anything that isn't a value of 0.  

I posted my code in another reply here.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @HugheJass ,

use this field in the conditions

status.errorCode=*
status.errorCode=0
status.errorCode!=0

or

'status.errorCode'=*
'status.errorCode'=0
'status.errorCode'!=0

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1. If possible, avoid using screenshots. Paste your code into preformatted paragraph or a code block - it's much easier to read/respond this way.

2. Unless I'm blind you don't show how you're using this token.

0 Karma

HugheJass
Loves-to-Learn

Thank you for your formatting advice.  This is my first detailed post as I dive into Splunk dashboards, so I will keep that in mind moving forward.

The token works fine in general with a wildcard or 0, so I didn't add more detail on how it's used because I didn't think that part needs troubleshooting.  The data is there in my results.  I figured there is a simple syntax issue that's stopping me from filtering it properly.  I'm pulling login events from Azure AD.  The field I'm working with here is status.errorCode.  I'm using two tokens - UserID and errorCode.

index="mscloud" userPrincipalName="$UserID$" status.errorCode="$errorCode$"  | spath userPrincipalName | search userPrincipalName="*@company.com"  | spath status.errorCode | search status.errorCode="*"| sort _time + desc | table  _time createdDateTime userPrincipalName appDisplayName status.errorCode status.failureReason status.additionalDetails clientAppUsed conditionalAccessStatus

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. So you can see that if you substitute the token with actual value, you're gonna get something that makes no sense

index="mscloud" userPrincipalName="some_username" status.errorCode=!=0

Since token replacement is just a simple text substitution, you might need something like that:

index="mscloud" userPrincipalName="$UserID$" status.errorCode$errorCode$

(and define your choices as "=*", "=0", "!=0" respectively)

or do

index="mscloud" userPrincipalName="$UserID$" $errorCode$

and define your choices as whole conditions ("status.errorCode=0" and so on)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...