Dashboards & Visualizations

Single HEC token or multiple HEC token

keishamtcs
Explorer

Hi,

We have around 15 different applications for which we are going to use HEC to collect data. There are two heavy forwarders on which HEC will be configured and manage by a deployment server.

1) Should i use different token for each application or Single token for sending data ?
2) How do i configure HA between the two heavy forwarders. If one heavy forwarder goes 2nd heavy forwarder will send the data ?

Regards

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi,

1. I'll suggest to use different HEC tokens for different apps but it is purely depend on your environment and customer to customer basis.
  2. You can use loadbalancer in between HF and applications to distribute HEC load between different HF (Have a look at docs http://dev.splunk.com/view/event-collector/SP-CAAAE73#scen3 ) but make sure that you need to use same token in both the HF for this functionality.
0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

HI,

I am not quite sure about Nr1. I saw environments where they used a new token for each HEC connection. This might be more secure (?) or just neccesarry.

to Nr2. there is no real HA for HF, you could set up your Universal Forwardes to send to both HF. UF would load balacing to the two HF than., but for your case, with HEC this is not an option.

0 Karma

keishamtcs
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

For the 2nd point, we are not using UF. Instead it is Serilog which uses a script to send data to splunk.
Do we use a load balancer to distribute the load or modify the script to send the data to both the servers?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...