Dashboards & Visualizations

LIKE() with wildcard within an IF statement

Tisiphone_1
Explorer

Can anybody tell me why this LIKE statement using a wildcard errors out within an IF statement in a form search, but not in the standard search box?

Here's the whole form search:

<searchTemplate>
   index=test
   [stats count | eval search=(

if("$VAR$"=="empty"," "," | where like(field,%$VAR$%) ")

) 

| fields - count ]
   </searchTemplate>

The part that never works is the LIKE statement % (the search wildcard):

| where like(field,%$VAR$%)

I have tried using ASCII instead of symbol %, and quotes in different places. The error I receive is: "Error in 'eval' command: Typechecking failed. '%' only takes numbers."

However, in standard search,:

| where like(field,%stuff%) 

works just fine.

FYI: I am using 4.0.11 - it appears LIKE may function differently than newer versions.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kartik13
Communicator

I know its too late to reply but not too late to contribute.
I am working on same kind of thing here my query which worked for me .

|where like(label,"%"+"$Token_Name$"+"%") OR like(label,"%"+"$Token_Name_part$"+"%")

rey123
Path Finder

The above syntax of including "%" in a separate set of quotes from the token, did not work for me. After a lot of trial and error, what worked was this, ie., encapsulating the "%" within the SAME SET of quotes as the token:

| where like(label,"%$Token_Name$%")

jetie
Explorer

oiResult=failure | where like(oiErrorString, "%5 - invalid truck number DSN%")

Works for me with version 6.0

0 Karma

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you paste this search into the Summary view of search, does it seem to land in the flash timeline intact?

0 Karma

Tisiphone_1
Explorer

I'm letting a user put a string into a search box, and if the search box is not empty I am searching for things that contain that string.

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Eval and where require that the pattern for a LIKE expression be a string literal. Your syntax should be | where like(field,"%stuff%"). I think that it's working in some of the cases because the UI is injecting quotes (where they don't necessarily belong).

Tisiphone_1
Explorer

I have tried both " and ". Both produce an error.

0 Karma

Johnvey
Contributor

Can you clarify what the output of the search should be? It appears that you're trying to generate SQL-like search syntax within the search language -- there probably is a simpler way to achieve what you want.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...