Dashboards & Visualizations

How to match 2 data sets in JSON events using one common field

anooshac
Communicator

Hi All,

I have created a dashboard for JSON data. There are 2 sets of data in same index.

One is Info.metadata{} and another one is Info.runtime_data{} under same index as different events.

But both of the events have one common field that is "Info.Title".

How can i combine these 2 events?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A bit more information would be useful, but this is a start and is the general technique for combining two data types on a common field

index=bla
| stats values(*) as * by Info.Title

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are a number of possibilities but probably the best way would be to use stats values() by Info.Title.

0 Karma

anooshac
Communicator

@ITWhisperer,I have used stats and i was able to match the data.

I want to do one more implementation. I want to se t token based on the availability of Info.runtime_data{}. For every event there will not be Info.runtime_data{}. I want to set a token if Info.runtime_data{} is present in the event of Info.Title, if not present i want to unset that token. I have tried it in the search query using if condition. But i am not able to implement it in the dashboard.

<search>
    <query>
     index="abc" sourcetype="abc"  Info.Title="$Title$"
     |spath output=Runtime_data path=Info.runtime_data
     | eval has_runtime = if(isnotnull(Runtime_data), "Yes", "No")
      | table _time, has_runtime
    </query>
    <done>
      <condition match="has_runtime=Yes">
        <set token="tok_runtime">true</set>
      </condition>
      <condition match="has_runtime=No">
        <unset token="tok_runtime"></unset>
      </condition>
    </done>
  </search>

This is my code, i am not sure the Condition match is correct or not. But im not able to set or unset the token. Please suggest me anything.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As @ITWhisperer you only have access to the first result of the table in the <done> clause, but assuming you only have a single result then you can set the token based on that very simply using <eval>

<done>
  <eval token="tok_runtime">if($result.has_runtime$="Yes", "true", null())</eval>
</done>

If you have multiple results, then this would work

<search>
    <query>
     index="abc" sourcetype="abc"  Info.Title="$Title$"
     |spath output=Runtime_data path=Info.runtime_data
     | eval has_runtime = if(isnotnull(Runtime_data), 1, 0)
     | table _time, has_runtime
     | eventstats max(has_runtime) as has_runtime
    </query>
    <done>
      <eval token="tok_runtime">if($result.has_runtime$>0, "true", null())</eval>
    </done>
  </search>
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In the done handler, you only have access to the first row of the results, so you would only be able to set a token based on the first result. Is this what you are actually trying to do?

0 Karma

anooshac
Communicator

@ITWhisperer, yes im trying to set a token based on the value has_runtime. Since i want to show some charts only if that particular data is present.  For this i am trying to create a token so that i can use this to show or hide the charts.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In that case you could rework your search so that it has either zero or 1 row depending on whether the condition is met, and set your token based on the number of results returned.

0 Karma

anooshac
Communicator

@ITWhisperer  , i considered 1,0 and and put condition like this. But still i am not able to set the token. Is this implementation correct?

<done>
      <condition match="match(has_runtime,&quot;1&quot;)">
        <set token="tok_runtime">true</set>
      </condition>
      <condition match="match(has_runtime,&quot;0&quot;)">
        <unset token="tok_runtime"></unset>
      </condition>
    </done>

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have not shown anything that indicates that the search has the value you are seeking on the first row of your results. Please share your search and follow @bowesmana's suggestion about which token to use to retrieve the results.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@anooshacno it's not, you need to look at the $result.has_runtime$ token - see my example 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...