Dashboards & Visualizations

How to display time in panel?

stwong
Communicator

Hello,

I'm writing a simple dashboard with a time picker and some panels.

I try to display the from/to time selected by user in panel header.

It works if user select Date/Time range, but for relative time period (e.g. last 1 day, last 15 minutes), the earliest and latest time are non-numeric values like -d@d, now, etc.

Possible to get the search start/end time for relative time period cases?

Thanks a lot.

Regards

/ST Wong

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

On answer

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Archive/Running-one-of-two-searches-based-on-time-picker-selection/t...

has said

Step 1) Run a dummy search (only use | makeresults to ensure actual index search is not performed) with the time tokens (assuming time picker field name is tokTime) as $tokTime.earliest$ and $tokTime.latest$.

Step 2) Code the Search Event Handler (in the example I have used <done>, <progress> can also be used. These Search Event Handlers can access default search time tokens i.e. $job.earliestTime$ and $job.latestTime$. But in String time format not epoch.

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

stwong
Communicator

Hi,

Thanks.  I tried simple code like following but unable to get values in $job.earliestTime$ and $job.latestTime$.   Did i miss anything?

Thanks a lot.

<panel>
<single>
  <title>Total access for department $d_name$ between $job.earliestTime$  and 
 $job.latestTime$ </title>
  <search>
  <query>

[snipped]

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

On answer

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Archive/Running-one-of-two-searches-based-on-time-picker-selection/t...

has said

Step 1) Run a dummy search (only use | makeresults to ensure actual index search is not performed) with the time tokens (assuming time picker field name is tokTime) as $tokTime.earliest$ and $tokTime.latest$.

Step 2) Code the Search Event Handler (in the example I have used <done>, <progress> can also be used. These Search Event Handlers can access default search time tokens i.e. $job.earliestTime$ and $job.latestTime$. But in String time format not epoch.

stwong
Communicator

Hi, thanks for your help.  It works when using with <done>.   

Rgds

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...