Dashboards & Visualizations

How to compare a field with latest two events?

vrmandadi
Builder

Hello SPLUNKERS,

I have a field called GPU which has values GPU0,GPU1,GPU2,GPU3. etc ..Some might have 7 values some might have 4 and some might have 3 for each host... I  want to compare   the current GPU and with the previous event for that host and if there is a difference I want to show what is the difference  and if its same then show no difference .For example 

Current Event : GPU0,GPU1,GPU2,GPU3,GPU4,GPU5,GPU6,GPU7

Previous Event : GPU0,GPU2,GPU6,GPU7

Thanks in Advance

I want to output the difference :GPU1,GPU3,GPU4,GPU5 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See this search example that uses your example to show differences.

It created multivalue fields for the GPU values and then uses a pair of MVMAP statements to stitch together new entries in the second event as well as entries no longer in second event

| makeresults
``` Make 2 events containing different GPUs ```
| eval event_1="GPU0,GPU2,GPU6,GPU7"
| eval event_2="GPU0,GPU1,GPU2,GPU3,GPU4,GPU5,GPU6,GPU7"
| eval gpus_1=split(event_1, ",")
| eval gpus_2=split(event_2, ",")
``` Calculate differences - only new additions in this example ```
| eval differences_1_vs_2=mvappend(mvmap(gpus_2, if(isnull(mvfind(gpus_1, gpus_2)), gpus_2, null())), mvmap(gpus_1, if(isnull(mvfind(gpus_2, gpus_1)), gpus_1, null())))
``` Now let's try reductions and addition in same event ```
| eval event_3="GPU1,GPU7,GPU8"
| eval gpus_3=split(event_3, ",")
| eval differences_2_vs_3=mvappend(mvmap(gpus_3, if(isnull(mvfind(gpus_2, gpus_3)), gpus_3, null())), mvmap(gpus_2, if(isnull(mvfind(gpus_3, gpus_2)), gpus_2, null())))
``` Now no changes ```
| eval event_4="GPU1,GPU7,GPU8"
| eval gpus_4=split(event_4, ",")
| eval differences_3_vs_4=mvappend(mvmap(gpus_3, if(isnull(mvfind(gpus_4, gpus_3)), gpus_3, null())), mvmap(gpus_4, if(isnull(mvfind(gpus_3, gpus_4)), gpus_4, null())))
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...