All Apps and Add-ons

timestamp in output

fritzsplunk
Engager

At first thanks for this great App!!

We use SPLUNK4JMX in a big environment with a lot of JMX output. Cause of a lot of data sometimes there is a issue to index all the data realtime. So it could be, that some logoutputs will be indexed by splunk a little bit later and become a wrong timestamp. This is reflected in holes in our graphs.

I found this in your readme about timestamps:
'By default, no timestamp is added , instead relying on the SPLUNK index time as the event time.'

Because we can not rely of our SPLUNK index we need a way to become timestamps into our output. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks and Best Regards

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Hi fritzsplunk,

Thanks for the great feedback..always great to hear how the app is being used !

Splunk4JMX has a framework that allows you to plugin your own custom output formatter implementation,

So in your case,you could have a custom formatter that prepends your own date on the logged event.

I also have some new code that allows you to pass parameters to existing formatters.So you could pass a "dateformat" to the Default Formatter which will implicitly prepend a date to the event.

Simple example :

<jmxpoller>

<formatter className="com.dtdsoftware.splunk.formatter.DefaultFormatter">
    <param name="dateformat" value="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss:SSSZ" />
  </formatter>

<jmxserver host="localhost" jvmDescription="cassandra" jmxport="7199">

<mbean domain="java.lang" properties="type=OperatingSystem">

<attribute name="FreePhysicalMemorySize" outputname="freePhysMem"/>

</mbean>

</jmxserver>

</jmxpoller>

I will get this code released on Splunkbase , hopefully by tomorrow, and this should sort you out 🙂
Feel free to contact me directly (damien@dtdsoftware.com) and I will give you an email when it's ready.

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Hi fritzsplunk,

Thanks for the great feedback..always great to hear how the app is being used !

Splunk4JMX has a framework that allows you to plugin your own custom output formatter implementation,

So in your case,you could have a custom formatter that prepends your own date on the logged event.

I also have some new code that allows you to pass parameters to existing formatters.So you could pass a "dateformat" to the Default Formatter which will implicitly prepend a date to the event.

Simple example :

<jmxpoller>

<formatter className="com.dtdsoftware.splunk.formatter.DefaultFormatter">
    <param name="dateformat" value="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss:SSSZ" />
  </formatter>

<jmxserver host="localhost" jvmDescription="cassandra" jmxport="7199">

<mbean domain="java.lang" properties="type=OperatingSystem">

<attribute name="FreePhysicalMemorySize" outputname="freePhysMem"/>

</mbean>

</jmxserver>

</jmxpoller>

I will get this code released on Splunkbase , hopefully by tomorrow, and this should sort you out 🙂
Feel free to contact me directly (damien@dtdsoftware.com) and I will give you an email when it's ready.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...