All Apps and Add-ons

sideview util using simple gate blocking search

sumitnagal
Path Finder

I am try to implement this basic example using , I have lookup host_env_mapping which execute below search from there I am doing pulldown for environment and setting static options as follow. I am not able to proceed as I am getting "Pulldown.html - View CONFIGRATION ERROR - you have specified a element with no element" on second pulldown. I am not sure if my lookup have some issue. though my below lookup command is working fine. I am giving sample host_env_mapping file for reference in end,

<![CDATA[
| inputlookup host_env_mapping | dedup environment,zone,datacenter | table host hostname datacenter environment information nodetype project zone

]]>

<module name="Pulldown">
  <param name="postProcess">dedup $name$ | sort $name$</param>
  <param name="template">environment="$value$"</param>
  <param name="name">environment</param>
  <param name="label">environment</param>
  <param name="valueField">$name$</param>
  <param name="staticOptions">
    <list>
      <param name="label">Select...</param>
      <param name="value">ZOMG</param>
    </list>
  </param>

<module name="Search">
    <param name="search"><![CDATA[

| inputlookup host_env_mapping | search $environment$

]]>

<module name="Pulldown">
      <param name="postProcess">dedup $name$ | sort $name$</param>
      <param name="template">hostname="$value$"</param>
      <param name="name">hostname</param>
      <param name="label">hostname</param>
      <param name="valueField">$name$</param>
        <list>
        </list>
      </param>

<module name="Gate">
        <param name="requiredKeys">environment,hostname</param>

<module name="Search">
          <param name="search"><![CDATA[

| inputlookup host_env_mapping| search $environment$ $hostname$ |table environment,zone,datacenter

]]>

<module name="HiddenChartFormatter">
            <param name="charting.chart">line</param>

<module name="JSChart" />
          </module>
        </module>
      </module>
    </module>
  </module>
</module>

<!-- EXAMPLE END -->

host_env_mapping.csv
datacenter,environment,host,hostname,information,nodetype,other1,other2,project,zone
ABC,XYZ,test123.test.com,test123,Execution,web-01,test,test1,Agg,Zone-A

0 Karma
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The error message is talking about the value you have set for the staticOptions param, in your Pulldown module.

<list>
  </list>
</param>

You've created an option that has only a "label" and has no "value" and this is a configuration error. Add some kind of "value", even if it's just an empty value <param name="value"></param> such that your staticOptions param looks like:

<list>
    <param name="value"></param>
  </list>
</param>

The error message could definitely be more specific and more clear so I'll update it to be more easily understood.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The error message is talking about the value you have set for the staticOptions param, in your Pulldown module.

<list>
  </list>
</param>

You've created an option that has only a "label" and has no "value" and this is a configuration error. Add some kind of "value", even if it's just an empty value <param name="value"></param> such that your staticOptions param looks like:

<list>
    <param name="value"></param>
  </list>
</param>

The error message could definitely be more specific and more clear so I'll update it to be more easily understood.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Aha. I see the problem. For now just put a single space character in the value, for the entry in staticOptions. Yes the Editor mistakenly omits the value from staticOptions in this case, when what it should do is create a value node with a null value. I will put in a fix for this. Most of the time when people need a single static option, the default one is what they want (ie if you omit staticOptions entirely, you get a "all/*" option there. )

0 Karma

sumitnagal
Path Finder

I got this, but now when I am editing using sideview editor it is not creating above mentioned param null value, it create below. which make difficult to find, as same example is working in help modules.

Select...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...