All Apps and Add-ons

dbquery correlated subquery

patrickfarrell

I am trying to query two databases in the following manner: select from the first database using a static query to get a list of values. Next, select from another database using the list of values returned from the first query as input to the IN-clause of the second query. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to write the query so that the IN-clause is populated dynamically. Is this even possible? If so, would someone please provide me with an example?

Example:

On DB 1: select id from sometable where type = 1
On DB 2: select id from sometable where type = 1 and id not in ( )

Thank You,

Patrick

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

I tried various ways but it could not be realized. There is no way to pass the SQL string to "dbquery".
I like the example to give up.

|dbquery db1 "select id from sometable where type = 1"| search NOT[dbquery db2 "select id from sometable where type = 1"|format]

0 Karma

patrickfarrell

My workaround was to UNION both queries together returning a larger resultset than necessary, then filter out records based on a column in the resultset in order to find the subset of records that I was interested in.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...