All Apps and Add-ons

Why am I getting an error: "only one item is allowed in root directory" while uploading the app on Splunk Apps?

pjvarjani
Path Finder

I am trying to upload an app on splunk apps (tried both .spl and .tar.gz extensions).. But it throws error "only one item is allowed in root directory".

When I extract same tarball package on local system it gets extracted with a single root folder "xyz" (xyz is the name of app), which contains other directories like bin, default, metadata etc...

Below are the contents of app.conf:

[package]

id = xyz

[install]

is_configured = 0

[ui]

is_visible = 1
label = abc

[launcher]

author =
description = Splunk app for xyz

version = 1.0

0 Karma
1 Solution

wnguyen
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Responding to an old question to hopefully help those that still run into the same issue:

When packaging your tarball, do not package specifying a relative path, as the tarball will compress with the relative path included. That is to say,

do not do this:
tar -cv --exclude='*DS_Store' ./multi_root > multi_root.tar

but instead this:
tar -cv --exclude='*DS_Store' not_multi_root > not_multi_root.tar

View solution in original post

wnguyen
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Responding to an old question to hopefully help those that still run into the same issue:

When packaging your tarball, do not package specifying a relative path, as the tarball will compress with the relative path included. That is to say,

do not do this:
tar -cv --exclude='*DS_Store' ./multi_root > multi_root.tar

but instead this:
tar -cv --exclude='*DS_Store' not_multi_root > not_multi_root.tar

MuS
Legend

Hi pjvarjani,

follow the docs about app packaging http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/AdvancedDev/PackageApp , looks like there is still an error in the tar ball, like appdir\appdir\...
Also, check this docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunkbase/latest/Splunkbase/Namingguidelines about your App name, there are some restrictions.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...