All Apps and Add-ons

What is the process to run the TA-prtg Add-on?

erwan_raulet
Explorer

I installed this app and configured the prtg.conf file by completing the server, user, and password but nothing is displayed in the Overview view. Are there other files to configure Splunk in or PRTG? How to join this Add-on author?

erwan_raulet
Explorer

In the module view, I have this error messsage :
"Error in 'prtglivedata' command: Error encountered while setting up custom search command, see search.log"
In the search log file, I find these lines:
09-22-2016 15:44:24.568 INFO ChunkedExternProcessor - Running process: D:\splunk\bin\PYTHON.EXE D:\splunk\etc\apps\TA-prtg\bin\prtglivedata.py
09-22-2016 15:44:24.927 ERROR ChunkedExternProcessor - stderr: Traceback (most recent call last):
09-22-2016 15:44:24.927 ERROR ChunkedExternProcessor - EOF while attempting to read transport header
09-22-2016 15:44:24.927 ERROR ChunkedExternProcessor - stderr: File "D:\splunk\etc\apps\TA-prtg\bin\prtglivedata.py", line 32, in
09-22-2016 15:44:24.927 ERROR ChunkedExternProcessor - Failure reading getinfo chunk
09-22-2016 15:44:24.927 ERROR ChunkedExternProcessor - stderr: from splunklib.searchcommands import dispatch, GeneratingCommand, Configuration, Option, validators
09-22-2016 15:44:24.927 ERROR ChunkedExternProcessor - Error in 'prtglivedata' command: Error encountered while setting up custom search command, see search.log.

It seems to be a python error.

0 Karma

evan_roggenkamp
Path Finder

I have made some progress on this. What I have done is installed python 2-7 locally, and then installed the python splunk SDK. Then, I copied the lib directory from my local python 2-7 to the splunk 2-7 (so splunk python has all the necessary modules)

Then I tried to use python to call the prtglivedata script, just to test:

>>> execfile(r"C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-prtg\bin\prtglivedata.py", variables)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-prtg\bin\prtglivedata.py", line 39, in <module>
    import readconfig
ImportError: No module named readconfig

Unfortunately I cannot find this module anywhere. I do not see that it exists. So this is a problem if the prtglivedata script depends on it (I cannot say this for sure yet, but I assume it does if it there was an import statement for it).

Here is the other strange thing:

C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin>splunk cmd python "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-prtg\bin\prtglivedata.py"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-prtg\bin\prtglivedata.py", line 32, in <module>
    from splunklib.searchcommands import dispatch, GeneratingCommand, Configuration, Option, validators
ImportError: No module named searchcommands

C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin>splunk cmd python -i
Python 2.7.11 (default, Aug  2 2016, 03:06:32) [MSC v.1700 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from splunklib.searchcommands import dispatch
>>> exit()_

So we can import the module we need fine in interactive mode, but when we try to run a script it fails. Why?

I do not know how to fix this. I hope dominiquevocat will have some input here. Happy to help in any way to get this solved.

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

import readconfig

is too much, sorry to have it in the published code.

0 Karma

dominiquevocat
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

not sure, is the prtg.conf in the \local Directory?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...