Explorer

I have a lookup table ipn1.csv
src_ip,hostname
54.69.58.243,splunk.com
172.217.14.206,google.com

When I run:

| inputlookup "ipn1.csv"
  | lookup whois host as src_ip

(lookup whois information based on the IP address) I get information populated from the whois search

When I run:

| inputlookup "ipn1.csv"
 | lookup whois host as hostname

(lookup whois information based on the domain name) no information is populated.

In my use case, I want to take a domain name from a search and lookup the creation_date but I cannot seem to get results.

When doing

|whois splunk.com 

it works perfectly, just not within a runtime search.

0 Karma

Prewin027
Explorer

Hi,
From your question i understand that, you want to take domain name from your search and compare the same with a lookup table to fetch creation date.

For this,

|inputlookup "ipn1.csv" |fields hostname |rename hostname as host| lookup whois host OUTPUT creation_date

0 Karma

skyelowryvancit
Explorer

I was only using the table to illustrate my problem.

My issue is that whois query will work when called by |lookup whois using the IP address, but not the Hostname.

Hostname only works when using |whois and not |lookup whois

0 Karma

robert_miller
Path Finder

Hey @skyelowryvancity , I can't get that lookup command to work. What version of the app are you using?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...