All Apps and Add-ons

Reporting on Azure Security Group Membership Additions

WumboJumbo675
Explorer

Hello -

Trying to create a query that will output additions to Azure security groups memberships. I am able to successfully output the information I need, but in the newValue field, it contains multiple different values. How do I omit the 'null' value and the security group IDs. I only want it to show that actual name of the security group. The way the logs are currently parsed, all of those values are in the same field - "properties.targetResources{}.modifiedProperties{}.newValue"

Query:

index="azure-activity" | search operationName="Add member to group" | stats count by "properties.initiatedBy.user.userPrincipalName", "properties.targetResources{}.userPrincipalName", "properties.targetResources{}.modifiedProperties{}.newValue", operationName, _time

Output:

WumboJumbo675_0-1710437352667.png

WumboJumbo675_2-1710437433902.png

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

marnall
Builder

One way you could do this is by spath-ing until you get a multivalue field containing each of the modifiedProperties json objects, then use mvfilter to filter that field to only the "Group.DisplayName" json object, then spath again to get the newValue:

| spath input=_raw path=properties.targetResources{}.modifiedProperties{} output=hold
| eval hold = mvfilter(like(hold,"%Group.DisplayName%"))
| spath input=hold path=newValue output=NewGroupName

View solution in original post

0 Karma

marnall
Builder

One way you could do this is by spath-ing until you get a multivalue field containing each of the modifiedProperties json objects, then use mvfilter to filter that field to only the "Group.DisplayName" json object, then spath again to get the newValue:

| spath input=_raw path=properties.targetResources{}.modifiedProperties{} output=hold
0 Karma

WumboJumbo675
Explorer

Awesome that seemed to do it, thank you so much.

index="azure-activity" | spath input=_raw path=properties.targetResources{}.modifiedProperties{} output=hold
| search operationName="Add member to group" | stats count by "properties.initiatedBy.user.userPrincipalName", "properties.targetResources{}.userPrincipalName", NewGroupName, operationName, _time
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...