All Apps and Add-ons

ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/interfaces.sh" cat: /sys/class/net/eth#/speed: Invalid argument

jlstanley
Path Finder

Getting error on many servers about :
ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/interfaces.sh" cat: /sys/class/net/eth7/speed: Invalid argument
the nic with vary so it' s not always eth7.

anyone know how to fix offhand?

nunoaragao
Explorer

cat: /sys/class/net/eth7/speed: will return Invalid argument if the NIC is disconnected. Same for duplex.
The way I fixed this, was to previously check if the state is "Up", like this

if [ -r /sys/class/net/$iface/duplex ]; then
         if grep -Fq "up" /sys/class/net/$iface/operstate; then
                     DUPLEX=`cat /sys/class/net/$iface/duplex | sed 's/./\u&/'`
                     [ .... more original code here .... ]
         fi

Other lines of code might also do the trick

0 Karma

jlstanley
Path Finder

I'm wondering if the version 7 of the add-on for Unix and Linux fixes it? if not, I'll give this a try. thanks

0 Karma

esalesapns2
Path Finder

My interface is showing "up", but I'm getting errors for "speed" and "duplex", even if I cat them from the command line; I'm running on a fairly recent Splunk AMI in AWS, One wonders why Splunk hasn't seen/fixed this?

0 Karma

nunoaragao
Explorer

I've hit the same snag on some AMI on AWS. Could not figure out an elegant solution, so I've resorted to:
DUPLEX=cat /sys/class/net/$iface/duplex 2>/dev/null | sed 's/./\u&/'
SPEED=cat /sys/class/net/$iface/speed 2>/dev/null

Which redirects the errors to dev null. That was Splunk's implementation back on version 5 of the add-on.

0 Karma

wfrankl2
Explorer

I get the same thing but not just for speed. duplex and docker0

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...