search alert using static file

gudavasr
Path Finder

Hi,
I will have a csv file like this:
cachename, value
max,1000
min, 100

I want to do search | fileds cachename, value | and compare the value to the value in csv file and send alert if it is =1000 or <1000 like that.
is this possible in Splunk? if possible can you please let me know the best way to do it.

Thank You

Tags (1)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In other words, you want to define the alert triggering condition based on minimum and maximum values for a field from a csv file?

Here's a mildly hacked approach: I've defined a test.csv with two columns, min and max, with values 300 and 600. Do the same (in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/lookups) and compare these two queries:

| gentimes start=-1 increment=5m | eval foo = starttime % 1200

| gentimes start=-1 increment=5m | eval foo = starttime % 1200 | search [inputlookup test.csv | return min max | eval search = replace(search, "min=", "foo>=") | eval search = replace(search, "max=", "foo<=")]

The first is the unfiltered one, with foo values from 0 to 900. The second filters the previous result based on the limits defined in the CSV file and only returns those events with 300<=foo<=600.

I'm not certain whether the trigger-conditions-in-CSV-file approach is the best for your problem though, what do you want to achieve?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

gentimes generates time range results, I use it to simulate actual events.

0 Karma

gudavasr
Path Finder

I will try this approach but why to gentimes? can I just use inputlookup part?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...