Alerting

URL Monitoring issue

jackin
Path Finder

Hello,
We have a few URLs being monitored by a Splunk alert(query pasted below for reference) by making use of the "Website Monitoring" add on.

index=myindex sourcetype="web_ping"
[| inputlookup URL.csv]
| streamstats count by response_code url
| where count>=2 and response_code>=300
| eval Timestamp=strftime(_time ,"%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S"),Status="Failure"
| rename response_code as "HTTP Response Code" url as URL
| dedup URL
| table Timestamp "HTTP Response Code" URL Status

Here the problem is 
we are receiving response_code and response_time fields as empty like below 

proxy_server="" title=abc.com timed_out=False proxy_port="" url=https://abc.com total_time="" request_time="" timeout=120 response_code="" proxy_type=http

can anyone suggest to resolve (troubleshooting steps) this issue.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

SinghK
Builder

Thats an issue with that add-on. I think you need to highlight that to developer. Or you need to readjust the frequency it polls or reduce no of urls on the hf where addon is .

But I used to eval that empty code as 404 or url unreachable  and then you will have value instead of empty value.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jackin,

what is the problem: aren't the missed fields extracted from logs or what else?

could you share some samples of your logs, bolding the missed fields?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jackin
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

jackin_0-1643013685736.png

Like above snap some fileds are empty

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jackin,

the question is: are they empty because they aren't present or because there's a parsing error?

for this reason I asked a sample of your log, with the missing values.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jackin
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

For ex: we are trying to access one of the url htttps://.... , so basically it is giving as HTTP Error 503 , But Splunk is showing HTTPP response code as null .

So, we can say that it's a parsing error

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jackin,

This means that there's a parsing error, if you could share a sample of your logs, I could help you to create another field extraction.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jackin
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

Thanks for help

where it is available ? 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jackin,

As I said, probably there's a parsing error in your TA, so the easiest way is to create a new field extraction.

But to do this, I need that you share a sample of your logs.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jackin
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

I am asking which logs you need and where it is available 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jackin,

you could send the logs that you have in the print screen you shared.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jackin
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

PFB log

proxy_server="" title=internal-onyxquals-738401111.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com timed_out=True proxy_port="" url=https://internal-onyxquals-738401111.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com/view/adminLogin.jsp total_time="" request_time="" timeout=120 response_code="" proxy_type=http

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jackin,

if this is your row log, you cannot do anything because the values are missing in the source; it isn't a parsing error.

You could force response_code="504"  and response_time=_time-120, something like this:

| eval response_code=if(timed_out="True",504,response_code), response_time=if(timed_out="True",_time-120,response_code)

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

SinghK
Builder

As I said earlier the add-on starts doing this when the no of tests increase on the hf it's installed. There is no fix to this just a work around only if you know your url is up when response code field is empty

|eval response_code = if ( response_code= "", "200" , response_code)

This will update empty response code as 200 else will keep what ever response code is there in actual event. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...