Alerting

How do you find missing values i.e. (IP addresses) over a 24hr - 7 day period?

Ryanwhittle123
Engager

If certain indexes go down and stop reporting over a 24hr - 7 day period how do you run a search to easily identify which ones have gone down?

Currently I run two separate searches filtered by 24hrs / 7 days " | tstats dc(host) where index="name" by index | fields dc(host) ". This lists all of the index's currently reporting in then I have to search through the data to find the result, but I would like to optimise it more by using one command too see these results in one search. 

Labels (1)

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By "indexes" do you really mean "indexers"?  I ask because a process (indexer) is much more likely to go down than a file (index).

Finding something that is not there is not Splunk's strong suit.  See this blog entry for a good write-up on it.

https://www.duanewaddle.com/proving-a-negative/

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Ryanwhittle123
Engager

Hi richgalloway,

Sorry I meant indexer! Apologises for my lack of detail I'm fairly new to this and just wanted to pick some peoples brains! Basically I do health checks in the morning and run the search query above to determine if all the indexers are up and running. If some indexers are down I have to run the query and filter by time (i.e. 24hrs, 7days) then compare the two to find the indexer which are not reporting in within the set timeframe. I was just wondering if its possible to | an additional query to highlight these IPs/hosts with one search if that makes sense. 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use the Monitoring Console.  It will tell you which indexers are down and a lot more.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Dashboard Challenge and Watch the .conf24 Global Broadcast!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is still happening, and it's not too late to enter for the week of ...